Indigestion is due to diminished function of Agni/digestive fire/enzymes because of intake of improper food. It can also happen due to intake of heavy food, over eating, infected food, untimely intake etc.
- If digestive capacity is low simple remedies like ‘Trikatu’ (combination dried ginger, long pepper and black pepper) and ‘Panchakola’ (combination of five drugs) Pippali, Pippalimoola, Chavya, Chitraka, Nagara powders 2 gms twice daily are indicated for use along with warm water before meals.
- Prepare an infusion of Aniseed (Saunf), Ginger (Adrak), Cumin (Jeera) seeds and black pepper (kali mirch) in water by boiling it. These are all digestives. Consume this whenever there is an indigestion problem.
- Dried ginger (Shunthi) powder half tea spoon (2.5 gm.) may be taken twice daily with luke warm water.
- Lime (Nimbu) juice one tea spoon (5 ml.) to be taken three times a day after meal.
- Soak the teaspoonful quantity of Celery seeds (Ajamoda) in a glassful of buttermilk. Keep this for five to six hours. Consuming this mixture helps in relieving the indigestion quickly.
- After a heavy meal, put two to three pieces of clove in the mouth or a piece of garlic and let them remain there till all the juices are extracted. This will help the digestion take place faster.
- Fennel (Saunf) seeds can also be put in the mouth.
Dietary advice for Indigestion
- Do not consume a heavy diet when having an indigestion problem. Stick to a vegetarian diet, and consume more fibers.
- Fasting for a day will help a lot. On this day of fasting, you may consume liquids like fresh fruit juices