KATIVASTI IN LOW BACK PAIN
Efficacy of KATIVASTI in low back pain
The waist area of the body is called Kati. Holding warm ayurvedic oils on the affected areas is called Vasti. Kati Vasti involves retention of warm thick medicated oil over the lower back for certain period.
The patient is asked to lie face down on the bed, and is applied medicated oil locally around the lumbo-sacral region. Then, a reservoir made of black gram dough is built around the lumbo-sacral area. Ensuring leak-proof, a lukewarm medicinal oil around 200-300ml is slowly poured into it.
The temperature of oil is maintained reheating and continuously adding more oil. The oil is kept on for 30-40 minutes.
Once this part of the treatment is over, the affected area may be gently massaged, followed by a steaming for 10-15 minutes for better absorption of the medicine. It is usually done in a course of 5 to 7 days as required according to Ayurveda practitioner.
Benefits of Kati Vasti:
- Alleviates numbness due to Sciatic nerve compression & most types of low-back pain.
- Strengthens back muscles which maintain normal curvature of the spine the bone tissues.
- Effective treatment for any type of back pain & spinal disorders, stiffness and other back concerns related to spinal disc problems.
- Increases the circulation in the region & highly effective in inflammatory conditions.
- Kati Vasti alleviates lower back conditions like Lumber Spondylosis, Inter vertebral disc prolapses, Lumbago (low back ache), and Sciatica.
- Alleviates pain associated with fracture, dislocation, spinal tuberculosis and tumors.
- Strengthens the joints, muscles and soft tissues around and enables you to resume back your work and activities
Kati Vasti can be taken as a preventive treatment also. It helps avoid problems related to back and keeps your spine healthy. As medicated oil gets deeply absorbed into the skin it both nourishes and strengthens the muscles and nerves. This is the one of the best treatment for healthy bone, muscle, vertebrae, spine, and nerves of lower back.
IN WHICH CONDITIONS IT IS BENEFICIAL??
KATI VASTI is a significant treatment in Ayurveda and is helpful in relieving pain in the following cases and even correcting the defect permanently in many cases—
–Chronic back pain
–Intervertebral disc prolapse
–Sprains of muscles around the backbone
–Straightening of curvature of back bone
–Spondylolisthesis (displacement of one vertebra over another)
–Pain due to osteoarthritis of the back bone
–Stiffness of back due to ankylosing spondylitis
–Sciatica like pains
–Inflammation of the intervertebral joints
–Sacralization of vertebras
–Degenerative illnesses of the vertebras or back bone
This should be done under the supervision of an Ayurvedic physician. The oils used varies according to the condition.
By the judicious combination of Ayurvedic medicines & therapies, regular exercises,
good diet, will surely relieve the painful back and convert it into a flexible, mobile and strong back.