Osteoporosis is a condition in which there is a progressive decrease in bone density ,causing weakness of the bone and thereby fractures are likely.
CAUSES AND RISK FACTOR
• Female gender-Usually prevalence of osteoporosis is high in women especially thin women. After menopause osteoporosis is very common because of lack of oestrogen .
• Family history of osteoporosis.
• Personal history of fracture as an adult.
• Cigarette smoking and excessive alcohol consumption
• Lack of exercise
• Poor nutrition, malabsorption
• Chronic inflammation disease like rheumatoid arthritis, liver disease etc.
SIGNS AND SYMTOMS
• Inability to move affcted area
• Swelling associated with pain seen
• Mainly knee joints are affected
• Crepitus can be felt
• Occasionaly associated fractures can be seen.
WHAT AYURVEDA SAYS TO PREVENT OSTEOPOROSIS
• To maintain bone health more intake of calcium rich food like milk,egg,ragi,meat,green gram etc is advised
• Daily intake of ghee and milk
• Use of sesame seed is mentioned in ayurveda for bone degeneration
• Use of some oral medicines
• Good food habit,proper sleep,rest is essential
• Excessive use of spicy, salty,astringent tastes should be avoided
• Maintain mental health with good thoughts and reducing anxiety is essential as Ayurveda believe in the involvement of mind in every disease.
• Practise of yoga and pranayama
AYURVEDA THERAPIES are done depending up on presentation of disease like abyanga,lepana, patrapotala sweda, dharas,navarakizhi etc