Plantar Fascitis is a painful inflammatory process of the plantar fascia, the connective tissue on the sole of the foot. The plantar fascia is a thick fibrous band of connective tissue originating on the bottom surface of the calcaneus (heel bone) and extending along the sole of the foot towards the toes. It supports the arch of the foot. It is the most common causes of the heel pain and is often caused by overuse of the plantar fascia or arch tendon of the foot. By the over straining of the plantar fascia, it gets weak, swollen and inflamed.
Symptoms of Plantar Fascitis:
- Pain when the patient take their first steps after they get out of bed or sit for a long time. After few steps the pain will get reduced and a dull type of pain persists.
- Pain aggravated while climbing steps, long walk etc.
- Stiffness and sometimes numbness may occur.
- Slight inflammatory symptoms like swelling etc.
- Long walk and running.
- Bare foot walk.
- Improper foot wear.
- Lack of rest etc.
Ayurveda describes this condition as vatakandaka, condition resulting due to kapha-vata vitiation. Ayurveda clearly mentioned this condition as treatable disease. Vatakandaka is a very common disease especially in old age,as Vata rogas/diseases occurs particularly in this time. But this disease seen commonly in middle ages also.
According to Ayurveda, this condition occurs due to Kapha dosha vitiation along with Vata dosha .Vitiated Kapha block or alter the normal path of the Vata vaha srothas/channels. As Vata has the main functions like movements, neurological and motor activities, the vitiated Vata causes burning sensation and pain.
This disease can be cured effectively by Ayurvedic treatments and can avoid injections, surgery and other proceeding complications.
Some common causes of Vata dushti
- Excessive exercise.
- Bare foot walk.
- Excess use of hot and spicy food.
- Age (old age time of Vata vitiation)
- Lack of sleep
- Mental stress (leads to Vata kopa)
Some causes of Kapha dushti
- Lack of exercise.
- Excess use of sweet and oily food- lead to overweight.
- Diabetes (as one of the Kapha vikara/disease)
Ayurveda Treatments for vatakantaka:
First of all while treating a disease according to Ayurveda is based on the concept that "NIDANA PARIVARJANAM CHIKITSA" that is avoiding the causes of diseases is the primary step in Ayurveda. We can opt treatment like:
- Abhyanga ( herbal oil application)
- Swedanam with heated poultices with herbal leaves or herbal powder
- Some internal medicines.etc.
- Rakthamoksha(blood letting),agnikarma,suchi daha.etc
- Proper rest
- Yoga- for mental health.